Wednesday 3 July 2013

Dragons against the world

OK, this is another thing entirely. I consider myself a dark and dragon type trainer, just because they're my favourite types, and because if I had to make a team of pokemon of one type (which I once did, when I thought I was doing a 6v6 and it became a 3v3 leaving me with Tyranitar, Hydreigon and Houndoom) it would be one of the two. Me and a friend were recently discussing pokemon types (eg dark vs ghost as the better offensive typing. That one we did end up agreeing on, dark has better battle properties, ghost has better moves) and there were two which we just couldn't agree on. One was the psychic type, which I just don't love, as I said here. The other was the dragon type. I really didn't think dragon type's supremacy up to the 6th gen was in question but she managed to find the one problem with it: It's hard to use. And once she said it I realised that she was right (which is not the same as realising I was wrong) and that it took me a while to figure out how to properly use dragons, especially a whole team of them. But still, I felt like the honour of the dragon type was challenged, so I've challenged her to a duel.

The rules

1) Player 1 (me) may only use pokemon which are at least part dragon-type. They are not permitted to use dragon-like pokemon of other types, such as Gyarados, Aerodactyl and Charizard, or other non-dragon members of the dragon egg groups such as Grovyle.
2)Player 2 may not use any pokemon of the dragon type, but can use any of the 620 other pokemon, including any which have characteristics of the dragon type.
3) Each player may have up to 2 legendaries on their team.

The rest of the rules will be firmed up at the time. I was going to post my team and strategy, but that would be stupid pre-battle, so I'll do it afterwards. In the mean time this presents an interesting balance. One of us wanted more than 2 legendaries, the other didn't. You can guess which I was in favour of. I think 2 is fair, but it leaves me with choosing 4 fully-evolved non-legendary dragon type pokemon. How many do you think there are? No, it's less than that. Less. Less. It's 9. There are as many legendary dragon-types as non-legendary. I also have to deal with the fact that my opponent knows part of all of my pokemon's typing and can make a decent guess at which pokemon will be in my team, and that she can make a team to counter it with ice and steel types. Meanwhile she has to deal with the full draconian fury of my team. It's gonna be close.

No comments:

Post a Comment