Saturday 13 July 2013

My head hurts

I'm sorry guys, but I haven't been on the internet since Monday, been away on business 200 miles away. So I checked back this morning on my source, praying that there wouldn't be too much new pokemon info, but unfortunately, what came up was perhaps the biggest package of pokemon info so far this gen. All this on a day when I have no less than no less than 4 posts to do for my other blog on reality TV. Also, I'm still dog-tired from the trip. But onwards and upwards, because the information virtually all of us have been waiting for is out. WE KNOW ABOUT XERNEAS AND YVETAL! Now, it may make sense to do them individually as usual, but because they so clearly act as both parallels and counterpoints to one another I'll do them together. Also, there is no freakin' way I'm typing their names time and again, so Xerneas is X and Yvetal is Y. Agreed?
Ironically enough they both have the exact typing I initially predicted. X will be pure fairy type, while Y will be dark/flying. They're the first of the "big 3" legends since Groudon and Kyogre in Gen 3 not to be part dragon-type. Mind you, there's no evidence yet that there'll be a third such pokemon, a Kyurem to their Zekrom and Reshiram, but I wouldn't bet against it. Now, there really hasn't been a case where one of the two "mascot pokemon" has clearly pwned the other. Even Groudon, who seems so screwed against Kyogre, can bring up the sun and use Solarbeam, or if it stays rainy Thunder works. Now that baffles me, because I thought for sure fairy and dark were going to be new playmates, and I established that, contrary to my initial speculations, fairy will definitely not deal super-effective damage to dark. This is based on footage of a Gardevoir using fairy wind on a Hydreigon and not quite managing to take it down, doing maybe around 80% damage. Given Gardevoir's awesome special attack (I'm taking what I think is a fair guess that most fairy moves, including this one, will be special) and Hydreigon's moderate to good special defense, there is no way that's a 4x super-effective move. It must be 2x, surely. But all this depends on the battle properties of the fairy type, and that more than anything is worsening my migraine. IT MAKES NO SENSE!
On and up, Xerneas and Yvetal will have parallel but awesome abilities. X's is to be called fairy aura, and will power up fairy type moves by an as yet unknown factor, while Y's ability, dark aura, does the same to dark-type moves. That's pretty self-explanatory, but essentially it's added STAB, making it close to my favourite abilities of all time. And in the same paragraph I'm gonna blast through their moves, because like Dialga and Palkia; Zekrom and Reshiram, they have a pair of signature moves. X's is called Geomancy, while Y's is called *deep voice* Oblivion Wing *normal voice.* Just take a moment and let the awesome of Oblivion Wing wash over you, and we'll continue.

Actually, we're pretty much done. All that is left to say is that some of this seems to fly in the face of my "feminine and masculine" theory. I'm still going with it for now, but it's actually seeming more like good and evil to me. One thing hasn't changed. I am 99% guaranteed to be buying Y version first.

No comments:

Post a Comment