Sunday 30 June 2013

What's in a name?

So Gamefreak has released what may be its vaguest piece of information ever. There'll be another new pokemon, called Aulotte/Orotto. What the hell? Not even a picture? I think this is classic Sylveon syndrome. They're only releasing what they can afford to without giving away secrets. So what does it look like? Well, some people are suggesting it's the new rodent, to go with Fletchling as the new bird, and joining the likes of Patrat, Ratatta, Zigzagoone, Bidoof and Sentret. So, normal? I'm not sure, though. See I keep being drawn to the word Aulotte, and given that this is likely an early pokemon and that the starting town is based on Paris, I can't imagine that it's not related to Alouette, the French for lark, made famous by the folk song in which a sadistic child captures and slowly plucks a lark, proving once and for all just how charming the French are. I kid because I love. But given that alouette will now always be associated with this story of cruelty, I wonder if there's dark typing somewhere. Also, I can't hear it and not think of Meloetta, my new favourite singer. And finally think about Audino, named for the Latin word audio, meaning I hear. SO MUCH SOUND! And yet I thought I'd put that idea to bed. Seems not yet. They're ready to toy with us like a Liepard with a Ratatta right up until.....I'm not even gonna do it any more. Because now I have less than no idea what they are doing. Maybe there will be a sound type. But if so, I'd be PISSED, for the reasons I spoke about in the linked post. The other name, Orotto? Sounds like Mexican food. But no, I'm thinking oral, related to the mouth and more specifically to speech. So it speaks, or sings. But....what does it mean? I haven't a clue.

No comments:

Post a Comment