Wednesday 12 June 2013

On the legendaries

Among the first pokemon to be announced for X and Y were the legendaries, Xerneas and Yvetal. As a pair of legendaries I think they are probably the coolest looking other that the sleek, gorgeous, sexy monochrome designs of Zekrom and Reshiram. Even then, they're maybe more unique looking. Yvetal in particular is exactly what I love a pokemon to look like. Xerneas is cool but it looks a bit too much like a gay deer. This also makes it difficult to guess at its typing. But I wondered, and now I suspect, that it's part fairy type. It could be entirely fairy type. But I'm not sure if that'll be the case. For the last two generations, and a lesser part of the one before, the main legendaries have been dual-type dragons. Mind you, Xerneas doesn't look like a dragon at all. Even Shelgon looks more like a dragon than this. And Shelgon doesn't look like a dragon.Edited to add-Had an "of course!" moment last night when I was talking to a friend last night about fairy types. I mentioned Xerneas and he said steel/fairy. I think he's right. Thanks dude!  Yvetal could be a dragon. It really could. In fact, now that I think that Xerneas is probably a fairy, Yvetal is more likely than ever to be a dragon, maybe paired with dark or flying. or it could be dark-flying, a combination I like but feel hasn't been used very well by Honchcrow or Vullaby Someone whose opinion I respect and often agree with pointed out on Youtube that when Yvetal flexes its wings it almost looks like a tuning fork. And? That's just what would happen as it moved. Sound type? I really doubt it, especially with a new normal-type sound move, battle cry, announced today for Shishiko.  If it's not flying type it will have Levitate as its ability. I'd like that. I don't like Pressure as a legend's ability. I'm usually focussed on fast, hot battles that end in 3 turns, so Pressure does nothing for me. I'll say more about sky battles later, but for now I'll just say it's odd that it looks like Yvetal can take part in sky battles, while Xerneas cannot. And finally, on this subject, the concepts. The main legends usually seem to have a corresponding pair of concepts they represent: land and sea; time and space;truth and ideals(?.) In this case I half-think it's masculine and feminine, with X-chromosomes and Y-chromosomes being for girls and guys respectively. They do look it as well, with Xerneas being more pretty and cute but still tough looking and Yvetal being strong, sharp and dangerous looking.
Then there's that Mewtwo thing. Corocoro confirmed it as a new Mewtwo forme, calling it the eclair forme. I don't believe for a moment that's its real name. Either way, it's cool and looks a lot like a new mutation of Mewtwo. I'm imagining this means Mewtwo will be catchable in Kalos, and then my best guess would be that there'll be some kind of research lab you can take it to to mutate, or maybe that there'll be another evil team (actually I'm pretty sure of that one) and that they'll try to strengthen Mewtwo leaving you as the player to clean up the mess. I suspect it's still Psychic type. It looks very similar to Mewtwo. But I kinda hope it's not. It would be cool for it to be more than just a slightly-different looking Mewtwo with different stats. Also, I kinda think they're never likely to have another pokemon with 700 base stats, since Arceus is god and all, but as I said in my last post, Mewtwo was absolutely undisputed king of Gen I, and I kinda think it's a shame for that not to be true again in Gen VI. But it's kind of a big deal that the Vatican supports pokemon, and the last thing Gamefreak want to do is end that, so I suspect it'll be high-ish stats, and maybe another interesting twist, like a new ability. They've been very secretive about it, so I think something big's happening.

1 comment:

  1. Psychic/fairy for Mewtwo's new forme? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete