Wednesday 7 August 2013

Outfoxing Fennekin

Gamefreak have tried so hard to toy with us, again, and I'm getting a little irritated. Don't get me wrong, I'm still thoroughly intrigued but I am a little bored of the misleading spoilers, half-truths and unfinished reveals. So ha ha Gamefreak, this one I've cracked. I think.
The absolute last thing ANYONE wanted for Gen VI was a 4th fire/fighting type starter. In Gen III Torchic evolved into the first of these, Blaziken. It was a pretty good pokemon, and in general pokemon players applauded the move. In Gen IV Chimchar evolved into Infernape, and Infernape was a very very good pokemon indeed. As far as I can see pokemon players were happy to accept a second fire/fighting because Infernape felt like a polishing and a boosting of Blaziken. Its stats, movepool, concept and design were all way better, and when it was released it became arguably the best starter of all time. In Gen V something strange happened, and Blaziken leapfrogged its OU rival Infernape to go from languishing in UU to being the only Ubers starter ever...for now. This was thanks to its Dreamworld ability, the almost unjustly good Speed Boost. But Gen V also brought a nasty surprise for fire/fighting, in the form of lame younger cousin to the family Embor. This fat, lumbering pig tries to copy its older relatives and fails miserably. Why is it a pig anyway? That makes no sense from a conceptual point of view. There is just no line you can draw to get from pig to punching stuff, although I have just mentally created the superhero Bacon Man. Anyway, Emboar sucked, and with so much potential still left in the fire type for new things, players rejected Emboar as a waste of a starter.
I said, in one of my very first posts, that not only did I not see Fennekin becoming a fire/fighting I didn't see how it could become a fire/fighting, when they'd done three and anyway it didn't look fighting-y (not that Tepig did either.) But then they showed us it using a move called Glow Punch, and alarm bells were set ringing. Oh, no, it's punching stuff now! But.......I'm pretty sure that not only is Fennekin's unrevealed evolution not a fighting type, the move isn't even fighting type. OK, i have just seen that it deals super-effective damage to fire/normal and fighting is one of 4 types to currently do that. But I say currently for a reason. This punch really doesn't look like, say, Mach Punch. I bet this is a special punch. Specifically I bet this is the fairy equivalent of fire/thunder/ice punch, and Fennekin will be a fire/fairy. That is, based on what we already know, frighteningly good typing. Specifically it will be a specially offensive monster. I mean, dragon, normal, steel, ice, grass, these are very good types to be super-effective against (and potentially not all,) and should slot it into ubers as an amazing counter to a lot of things you most commonly find there. Also, the fairy type IS super-effective against fire or more likely normal type or both, and isn't resisted by either. Now, Gamefreak, have you got any unintentionally very informative spoilers on Chespin or Froakie? 

No comments:

Post a Comment